KAMPALA, Uganda — The government has announced 100-days crackdown on old and mechanically unsafe taxis operating in the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area, with authorities warning that vehicles commonly known as “ganyegenya” will no longer be allowed on the roads from Monday.
Works and Transport Minister Fred Byamukama announced the enforcement on Thursday, saying the operation is aimed at removing dangerous vehicles that continue to transport passengers despite having serious mechanical defects.
Byamukama clarified that the government was not banning the taxi business but was targeting vehicles that have deteriorated to a level that poses a risk to passengers, drivers and other road users.
He said taxi operators should not return the targeted vehicles to the roads when enforcement begins on Monday.
The minister cited worn-out tyres, faulty brakes and steering systems, damaged seats and defective doors among the mechanical problems affecting some of the vehicles.
He said some drivers have resorted to holding doors shut while driving, further endangering passengers and themselves.
Byamukama also alleged that some vehicles being operated as public taxis are rebuilt from cars that were previously involved in accidents and abandoned in garages. According to him, some owners buy the vehicles cheaply, carry out limited repairs and return them to the road.
The government says it has already given taxi operators an opportunity to demonstrate that their vehicles are roadworthy through voluntary inspections.
Byamukama said sample inspections conducted over the past 60 days had not produced a single vehicle that met the required roadworthiness standards. Between 30 and 60 ageing taxis are reportedly estimated to have undergone the voluntary inspection exercise.
The first phase of the enforcement campaign will cover Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono, before being extended to other parts of the country.
The latest crackdown follows an earlier government effort in March, when taxi owners were given 20 days to repair or withdraw vehicles considered unroadworthy.
Taxi operators subsequently asked for more time, arguing that many owners could not afford major repairs and that abrupt enforcement could threaten the livelihoods of people who depend on the industry.
The Uganda Taxi Operators Federation, led by chairperson Rashid Ssekindi, also called for further consultations, warning that enforcement could affect drivers, conductors, vehicle owners and other workers whose incomes depend on public transport.
Operators have previously argued that poor road conditions also contribute to the deterioration of taxis, particularly those operating on heavily damaged routes.
The Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area is estimated to have about 15,000 taxis, making the sector a major source of public transport for residents travelling between Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono.
The government has maintained that taxis that pass inspection and meet safety requirements will remain on the roads. Owners of vehicles found to be unsafe will be required to repair, replace or withdraw them from passenger service.
The enforcement could, however, create short-term challenges for commuters, particularly on routes that depend heavily on older taxis.
The crackdown comes amid continued concerns over road safety in Uganda, with mechanical failures, overloading, dangerous driving and other traffic violations among the factors associated with road crashes.
The government says the operation is intended to enforce existing road safety standards and remove dangerous vehicles from public transport, while taxi operators face renewed pressure to invest in repairs and newer vehicles.
The impact of the enforcement on commuters and taxi operators is expected to become clearer as police begin implementing the directive across the Greater Kampala area on Monday.






























