The High Court in Kampala has continued hearing the treason case against jailed opposition politician Dr Kizza Besigye despite his absence from court.
Assistant Superintendent of Prisons Emmanuel Hiire told court that Besigye could not attend the hearing.
Hiire said Besigye had been discharged from Mulago National Referral Hospital on August 4, 2026. He said Besigye was informed about Tuesday’s court session but declined to attend physically or participate virtually.
However, co-accused Obeid Lutale disputed the prison officer’s account.
Lutale told court that he shares Ward 18 with Besigye, but that Besigye had not been in the ward since August 4. He said Besigye had instead been receiving treatment at the Prison Staff Hospital.
Lutale asked the judge to personally visit the prison and establish Besigye’s condition if he doubted his account.
Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Thomas Jatiko and Chief State Attorney Richard Birivumbuka asked the court to continue with the trial in Besigye’s absence.
Birivumbuka argued that Besigye’s absence was another attempt to delay the prosecution’s case.
He referred to the July 29 incident when Besigye disrupted proceedings before he reportedly fainted and said he did not want to return to court.
The prosecutor also cited previous cases where courts proceeded with trials in the absence of accused persons.
He mentioned the case of Dr Mathew Kirabo, who was convicted in absentia for murder by the Mukono High Court and later arrested in Kenya.
He also referred to the case of Jamilu Mukulu, saying judges handling his case continued hearing witnesses after he declined to return to court following a break.
Another example was former minister Herbert Kabafunzaki, who was tried and convicted in absentia on corruption-related charges.
After considering the arguments, Justice Baguma allowed the treason trial to continue without Besigye.
Justice Baguma said he had a medical letter from Mulago Hospital dated August 17, 2026, addressed to the Commissioner General of Prison indicating that Besigye had lost his speech but he could follow the court proceedings.
Judge Emmanuel Baguma allowed the trial to proceed .
The prosecution witness, Andrew Wilson, a Kurdish national and private investigator based in Florida, resumed his testimony before Justice Baguma.
Wilson told court that he first came to know Besigye through a Ugandan living in Switzerland, identified as Joel Wakayima.
He said Wakayima first contacted him in 2021 and asked him to provide security and paramilitary training to people in Uganda and abroad, allegedly as part of plans to overthrow the government.
Wilson said the training was disguised as a journalists’ training programme focusing on communication so that its real purpose would not be detected.
He told court that some of the training was conducted online and that the best participants were expected to receive advanced training in the use of explosives and drones.
According to Wilson, the advanced training was intended to prepare participants to attack Ugandan government officials and embassies in Uganda and abroad, particularly in Europe.
He also told court that discussions were held about obtaining counterfeit currency and putting it into circulation in Uganda to disrupt the economy.
Wilson further alleged that the group discussed establishing a shadow government and involving several people, including former Kampala Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago.
The witness said Wakayima introduced him to Besigye in Geneva, Switzerland, after initially contacting him through his website’s email address. Their communication later continued on WhatsApp.
Wilson told court that he saved screenshots of their conversations and later shared them with General Otto of the Uganda People’s Defence Forces, whom he said he knew through a colleague who had worked with him in Somalia
State-appointed lawyers Sylvia Namawejje Ebitu, Sarah Awero and Julius Sserwambala told court that they had instructions to represent Captain Oola alongside his lawyers of choice, including Major Simon Busagwa Nsubuga.
The lawyers, however, said they had no instructions to represent Besigye or Lutale.
Lutale asked court to record that he was proceeding with the trial without legal representation.
Meanwhile, journalists covering the proceedings were stopped from entering court with phones, recording watches and bags.
Several journalists protested, saying their phones were necessary for timely reporting. They remained outside as efforts were made to resolve the issue with the Judiciary.
Besigye, Hajja Obed Lutale and Captain Oola are jointly charged with treason over allegations that they plotted to overthrow the government.
The prosecution alleges that the accused held meetings in Uganda, Kenya, Greece and Switzerland to raise funds, acquire weapons and organise paramilitary activities.
The State further alleges that Besigye met Wilson and received 5,000 US dollars to facilitate the movement of 36 Ugandans to Kisumu, Kenya, for military training. Prosecutors say the recruits were intercepted and deported before the training took place.
The prosecution also alleges that Besigye sought surface-to-air missiles, ricin poison and counterfeit currency and planned to use drones to assassinate President Yoweri Museveni.
The State says it will rely on witness testimony, audio and video recordings, social media communications, immigration records and telephone data as evidence..
Meanwhile in today’s court session journalists were not allowed to access Court with their phones forcing many of them to remain outside protesting against the decision.
The case will resume tomorrow Wednesday





























