A private security investigator has told the High Court in Kampala that he secretly recorded meetings in which opposition politician Dr Kizza Besigye and his alleged associates discussed plans to overthrow the Ugandan government.
Andrew Wilson, a Kurdish national, made the claims while giving evidence in the treason case against Besigye, Obeid Lutale and Captain Denis Oola before Justice Emmanuel Baguma. Besigye is being tried in absentia.
Wilson told court that he became involved in the matter after Joel Wakayima, a Ugandan living in Switzerland, approached him for assistance in obtaining military equipment and arranging paramilitary training for a group of between 40 and 60 people.
He said the equipment allegedly sought included hand grenades, drones and surface-to-air missiles, among other weapons.
Wilson testified that he asked Wakayima where the weapons would be delivered because the Kenyan airport where the group was expected to undergo training was under surveillance. Wakayima allegedly gave him alternative locations where small aircraft could land.
According to Wilson, Besigye later proposed that the weapons could instead be sent through an airport in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where he allegedly claimed to have contacts who could help receive the consignment.
The witness said Besigye also told him that he had previously received another consignment of weapons through the same route.
Wilson told court that after he began passing information to Ugandan security authorities, he started delaying the alleged weapons deal by giving Besigye and Wakayima different reasons for failing to deliver the equipment.
He said Wakayima became frustrated because a group of about 60 people were allegedly already in Kampala, being housed and fed as they waited to travel to Kisumu, Kenya, for training.
Wilson said he met Wakayima and Besigye in Geneva on November 28, 2023. Although Besigye suggested that they meet at his apartment, Wilson said he instead invited them to his own apartment because he had installed recording equipment there.
He told court that he concealed cameras inside a power bank and used them to record the discussions.
According to Wilson, the meeting included discussions about acquiring weapons and an alleged plan to attack Kampala.
He said he asked Besigye whether he had the ability to take control of Kampala, to which Besigye allegedly responded that he could rely on senior military officers he knew.
Wilson further alleged that a proposal was made to assassinate President Yoweri Museveni. He said Wakayima agreed to the proposal and was expected to use drone technology to carry out the attack after receiving training in Kisumu.
The witness said the participants were concerned that directly linking Besigye to the President’s death would damage him politically. He alleged that they therefore discussed falsely blaming the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) for the assassination.
Wilson also told court that Besigye allegedly mentioned having previously carried out surveillance on the President.
The witness said his associates were prepared to provide five million US dollars, which would be deposited on a bank account in Dubai, with Besigye allegedly being listed as a signatory.
He further testified that he repeatedly suggested involving National Unity Platform leader and former presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, also known as Bobi Wine, but said Besigye rejected the proposal.
Wilson also gave evidence about plans for another meeting in June 2024 to conclude arrangements for the Kisumu training. He alleged that Besigye and Wakayima discussed creating unrest in Uganda, including a plan involving a drone and a commercial aircraft at Entebbe International Airport.
According to the witness, the wider objective was allegedly to create chaos, blame the government for the situation and eventually have the military take over.
He further alleged that discussions were held about counterfeit 5,000-dollar notes, which he said were intended to help finance the training and later disrupt Uganda’s economy.
Wilson also told court that Wakayima allegedly wanted to attack Cafe Javas along Acacia Avenue in Kampala with a hand grenade because government officials were said to frequent the premises.
The witness said Wakayima was later arrested in Geneva. He alleged that Besigye provided contacts identified as Samuel and Simon to help establish communication with investigators in an attempt to secure Wakayima’s release.
Wilson said he later travelled to Kisumu in connection with the planned training, where several people were arrested. Among those arrested were 36 FDC supporters who were subsequently brought back to Uganda and charged with terrorism-related offences.
He said Besigye was in Nairobi at the time of the arrests.
Wilson also testified about a subsequent meeting with Besigye in Athens, Greece, on September 29, 2024. He said the meeting took place in a basement at Athens International Airport after Besigye returned from the United States and was preparing to attend a two-day conference organised by South Africans.
Wilson said he attended the meeting with an associate who recorded the proceedings from a distance while also providing him with security.
The witness is continuing to give evidence on the second day of his testimony. He is being led by Chief State Attorney Richard Birivumbuka, assisted by Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Thomas Jatiko.
Captain Denis Oola is represented by lawyers Sylvia Namawejje Ebitu, Sarah Awero and Julius Sserwambala, while Lutale has no lawyer representing him in court.
The prosecution alleges that Besigye, Lutale and Oola held meetings in Uganda, Kenya, Greece and Switzerland as part of a plan to overthrow the government. The State claims the alleged plot involved securing money and weapons and organising paramilitary training.
Prosecutors also allege that Besigye sought surface-to-air missiles, ricin poison and counterfeit currency and planned to use drones in an attempt to assassinate President Museveni.
The State says it will rely on witness testimony, audio and video recordings, social media communications, immigration records and telephone data to support the charges.
The allegations against Besigye, Lutale and Oola remain prosecution claims and are yet to be determined by the court.






























